Update to WSL Ubuntu 20.04 "breaks" Fenics connection

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Update to WSL Ubuntu 20.04 "breaks" Fenics connection - Update: Broken again

tkdiff
My installation is evidently in python3, pip list doesn't show fenics, but pip3 does.  Running python on the test.py filie results in the can't find fenics error.  Running python3 runs fenics, but says dolfin couldn't read data from the xml file, can't open test2.xml, error encountered inside XMLFile.app on dolfin 2019.2.0.dev0.  The files test2 were exported from featool on the file that did run on fenics in featool.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Update to WSL Ubuntu 20.04 "breaks" Fenics connection - Update: Broken again

Precise Simulation
Administrator
It is indeed very peculiar if it works in the GUI now but not on the command line, there is no particular reason for this as I can think of (as the gui essentially calls the command line functions). I seem be running the same ubuntu as you but there could of course be many other differences with packages installed or not.

fenics-dijitso (2019.2.0.dev0)
  fenics-dolfin (2019.2.0.dev0)
  fenics-ffc (2019.2.0.dev0)
  fenics-fiat (2019.2.0.dev0)
  fenics-ufl (2019.2.0.dev0)
  distro-info (0.18ubuntu0.18.04.1)

Please note that, I have released a FEATool update 1.13, although it shouldn't change anything with respect to FEniCS really, you might try and see if it helps anything (I think it should fix finding fenics in the sysinfo, but maybe not much else).
Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
I have been running 1.13.0 build 20.10.296, as posted in your github, for these tests.  Sysinfo still shows no fenics.  I'll try and do an uninstall and reinstall of featool.

Update:  Nope, nothing changed.  Still runs in GUI, but not as m file in matlab, and sysinfo still does not show fenics installed.  Also, like I said, the python3 command opens test.py now but says dolfin can't open or read the xml file.  I ran python3 /mnt/d/docs/test1.py and both files were in the same directory and exported from the gui.
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Can you confirm that you can successfully run basic fenics tutorials by themselves, such as from:

https://fenicsproject.org/tutorial

if not there is still something wrong with your fenics installation (before doing anything else this must work).

Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
Those tutorials all require plotting.....not  sure if they will run in the terminal window wsl ubuntu installation.  I tried running one and it errored out at the plot call.  I'm looking for a test file that can run without plot.  Doesn't the fact the files run from the featool gui mean that fenics is working?  Also, the fenics import * and dolfin import *  commands both run without  error.
Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
Not sure what was done, but I updated to 1.13 bld 299, and fenics is now working as before, both from the gui and from matlab.  The sysinfo now shows fenics 2019.2.0.dev0 as the version accessed.  I wonder if it was the uninstalling and reinstalling of the new version that did it, or you changed something in ver 299.  In any event, thanks for resolving this!