classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Geometry export and import to/from different model physics

randress
This post was updated on .
I constructed a 3D geometry in the Poisson Physics mode (by accident). And so as to not loose the work, I exported it to both .geo and .stp formats.

I then began a new 3D model with Conductive Media DC (my intended mode) and attempted to import the saved geometry.

Importing the .geo resulted in the following error:

Importing the STEP resulted in the following error after moving to the GRID mode:

Perhaps this is a "feature" and not a "bug" - it is certainly not something that anticipate needing; however, I do intend to importing STEP geometries (in one case after exporting to gmsh from FEATool so I may cut them with a plane for integration (see forum entry here: ) ...

Just asking...

-Randal

BTW, it was a simple model - no big loss :-)

============= Added after initial submission above ==============

Well, now I am more concerned.  I created a new 3D model with Conductive Media DC and added some simple geometry.

I saved the model (.fea, atached).

Then I exported to .geo and .stp.

Created a new model of same type and imported .geo -> got same error.

Imported .stp -> got same error on going to Grid mode.

I am attaching the .fea, .geo, and .stp.

-Randal

block_and_cylinder_exported.fea
block_cylinder_exported.stp
block_cylinder_exported.geo

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geometry export and import to/from different model physics

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
Created a new model of same type and imported .geo -> got same error.
The Gmsh geo format is very complex, and can not be guaranteed to be reconstructed properly unless it is very simple to recogize (typically 2D geometries created with FEATool's built-in CAD tools).

randress wrote
Imported .stp -> got same error on going to Grid mode.
Please confirm that you are using the latest version of FEATool (currently 1.12.2 build 20.04.117) which have includes support for multiple CAD geometry objects.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geometry export and import to/from different model physics

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
Please confirm that you are using the latest version of FEATool (currently 1.12.2 build 20.04.117) which have includes support for multiple CAD geometry objects.
After updating to 1.12.2 the STEP export and import works without error. Thanks again for 1.12.2! The STEP export/import should be all I need.
Kind regards,
-Randal