2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Error meshing imported STL geometry

johnchandler
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I successfully imported a stl file into featool. When I generate the grid, I get very strange error messages (see below).

Grid generation error.

Error using <a href="matlab:matlab.internal.language.introspective.errorDocCallback('featool')" style="font-weight:bold">featool
Could not find mesh to import.

Error in <a href="matlab:matlab.internal.language.introspective.errorDocCallback('featool')" style="font-weight:bold">featool

Error in <a href="matlab:matlab.internal.language.introspective.errorDocCallback('featool')" style="font-weight:bold">featool

Does anyone know how I can fix these errors?

Thanks,
John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error meshing imported STL geometry

Precise Simulation
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In general CAD formats such as STEP or IGES as significantly more robust and recommended over faceted and approximate formats such as STL. That said:

Grid generation error.

Could not find mesh to import.
is a general error message indicating that mesh generation has failed and a mesh could therefore not be found to be imported.

Without any actual information about your specific model and system one can only speculate, but it is quite likely that there are issues with your STL geometry model such as gaps, non-watertight domains, or duplicated and overlapping facets.

https://www.featool.com/doc/geom.html#geom_cad_stl

You can possibly try to find some geometry/mesh repair tools to pre-process your STL model before meshing, or try to manually mesh the STL file (in for example Gmsh) and import the finished mesh instead of the geometry.