Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transient Euler Bernoulli Problems

H.U.Akay
I am surprised that we can not run transient Euler-Bernoulli problems with FEATool.  There is no time integration solver for the second-order time derivatives (hyperbolic) in the code.

I tried to use the Custom Equation mode by introducing a new variable forming two parabolic time-dependent equations, as it is done in the tutorials for the wave equation, but the Custom Equation mode does not support Hermite interpolation functions in this case.  I am disappointed that the developers of FEATool do not support the solution of hyperbolic time-dependent problems by using the well-known Newmark's scheme.

The situation is the same with the transient elasticity equations too.  You can calculate eigenvalues, but no correct structural dynamics response can be calculated under dynamic loads.

Hope this deficiency will be somehow removed.  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transient Euler Bernoulli Problems

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Dear Prof Akay,

Thank you for trying the software, and taking the time to leave constructive feedback. That is very much appreciated.

It is certainly planned to support hyperbolic equations as well as many other physics equations and systems.  Unfortunately with (very) limited resources it takes significant amount of time and effort to implement, test, and validate new features. Hopefully, you're willing to try the software sometime again in the future when we can disappoint a little bit less.

Thank you again for trying.