classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Symmetry/Slip condition results in OpenFOAM error

StoneFrench
Hello,

I am trying to run the following model shown below and whenever I apply symmetry conditions to the top, left, and right boundaries I receive the following errors.

Could not read velocity solution. Check OpenFOAM log file for convergence.                                                              

Line 0 in featool                                                                                                                        
Line 0 in featool                                                                                                                        
Line 0 in featool                                                                                                                        
Line 0 in featool                                                                                                                        
Line 0 in featool                                                

I have tried removing this boundary condition from some surfaces or adding it to other but it appears that having any symmetry condition within the model causes this error. Do you have any advice on how to fix this?

With kind regards,

-Stone French                                                                      
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Symmetry/Slip condition results in OpenFOAM error

Precise Simulation
Administrator
I am trying to run the following model shown below and whenever I apply symmetry conditions to the top, left, and right boundaries I receive the following errors.

Could not read velocity solution. Check OpenFOAM log file for convergence.

I have tried removing this boundary condition from some surfaces or adding it to other but it appears that having any symmetry condition within the model causes this error. Do you have any advice on how to fix this?
As this does not seem to really be a FEATool software issue but specific to OpenFOAM, it is recommended to first check the OpenFOAM solver log for warnings and error messages. To do this:

"Uncheck" the "Close automatically" checkbox after pressing "Solve" in the OpenFOAM solver control panel. This means that the dialog box will not automatically be closed after the solver finishes so you can check the log file output by switching to the "Log" tab.

Furthermore, all possible combinations of boundary and initial conditions are not always compatible in OpenFOAM. In particular, the "slip/symmetry" condition does not always seem to be compatible with the "Natural outflow/stress boundary" condition, in which case you can try to use the "Outflow/pressure" condition instead.
Reply | Threaded
|

StoneFrench
I tried this but the only thing that is being showed in the logs is

"Create time

Create mesh for time=0

Solution converged/stopped."

If you have any thoughts on how to get around this please let me know.

With kind regards,

-Stone French
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
It is in general quite difficult to give specific help without much if any information about your model. If possible, attach your model file with steps describing how to reproduce the issue.