classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for grid and postprocessing

Frederic Moisy
Hi,
I am a new user and enjoy very much the toolbox.
After a few days of use (with the Navier-Stokes solver only), I would like to make the following suggestions for future releases:
 - in "Grid" mode, when clicking on "Refine", the displayed value in "Grid Size" (and the location of the cursor) is not updated.
 - in "Postprocessing" Settings: it would be nice to add a "Scale Factor" for the arrow plot ; and display streamlines
 - "Next/Prev" buttons or cursor to easily nagivate through time-dependent solutions (the "Solution" selection in the Postprocessing dialog box is not very convenient for this...)
 - A new "Suggestions" subject in the FEATool forum
Sincerely
Frederic

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suggestions for grid and postprocessing

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Frederic Moisy wrote
Hi, I am a new user and enjoy very much the toolbox. After a few days of use (with the Navier-Stokes solver only), I would like to make the following suggestions for future releases
Thank you for your kind words and feedback. I have created a new area for suggestions.

Frederic Moisy wrote
 - in "Grid" mode, when clicking on "Refine", the displayed value in "Grid Size" (and the location of the cursor) is not updated.
I'm not quite sure what the issue with the cursor location is here? The "grid size" is only used when calling a mesh generator (using the "Generate" button), while "refine" simply splits all edges in half (irrespective of "grid size"). So they are not really connected. If you want to know the mesh statistics, min/max/average sizes  etc. you can select "Grid Statistics..." from the "Grid" menu.

Frederic Moisy wrote
 - in "Postprocessing" Settings: it would be nice to add a "Scale Factor" for the arrow plot
Yes, this is a good idea.

Frederic Moisy wrote
- Display streamlines
Sure, this is somewhere on the list but requires some more functionality to integrate the paths other than basic expression evaluation.

Frederic Moisy wrote
 - "Next/Prev" buttons or cursor to easily nagivate through time-dependent solutions (the "Solution" selection in the Postprocessing dialog box is not very convenient for this...)
This is a good idea, I like it although I would probably implement it as buttons around the "Apply" button in the "Postprocessing Settings" dialog box (as you can always make it smaller and just show the last row of buttons), something like:

[OK][<][Apply][>][Share][Cancel]

Where </> would let you step between solutions if available (as the functionality is essentially "apply" but with another selected solution).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suggestions for grid and postprocessing

Frederic Moisy
Thank for your answers and for the new forum subject, which I am happy to inaugurate! Let me clarify my suggestion regarding the "Refine" option in the grid mode. Suppose that you have a 1x1 square domain. The default grid size is 0.1, so that I start with 10 meshes along each side of the square. If I click on "Refine", it computes and display a new grid of size 0.05 (20 meshes), but the "Grid size" field still indicates "0.1", which is strange. It would be more natural (at least to me) if, when clicking on "Refine", it automatically updates the "Grid size" field to its new value. Regarding the "Next/Prev" buttons suggestion: Having them directly in the main window instead of the "Postprocessing" dialog box would be even more convenient! And... adding "play/pause" buttons, to enjoy the movie, like in standard movie players? Frederic