classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for future release

tkdiff
Here are a few suggestions for future updates:

1.  Is it necessary for the splash screen asking to decline or accept the license for licensed customers?  I'm wondering if it could be eliminated if you have paid.

2.  Add the ability in postprocessing to permit modifications to the axes, such as semilog, log, scale, label, etc.  I have found that if you change the pp value at all, it throws the plot off screen, and you cannot change the axes or display to retrieve it.  For example, if you run a problem using large numbers and want to plot semilog instead of linear, you cannot do this

3.  If possible, an option to control/limit the output to the command log, to decrease verbosity of the output if desired.  If repeating time step calculations, the log gets quite large.

Thanks,
Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Suggestions for future release

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thank you for the suggestions Tom,

tkdiff wrote
1.  Is it necessary for the splash screen asking to decline or accept the license for licensed customers?  I'm wondering if it could be eliminated if you have paid.
Yes certainly, it actually worked like that before, but it might have been lost amongst other changes.

tkdiff wrote
2.  Add the ability in postprocessing to permit modifications to the axes, such as semilog, log, scale, label, etc.  I have found that if you change the pp value at all, it throws the plot off screen, and you cannot change the axes or display to retrieve it.  For example, if you run a problem using large numbers and want to plot semilog instead of linear, you cannot do this

3.  If possible, an option to control/limit the output to the command log, to decrease verbosity of the output if desired.  If repeating time step calculations, the log gets quite large.
I'm aware of the issues you have had with 1D simulations and will certainly try to improve it when I get a chance. In the meantime you can always use the command line interface to customize your simulations. Regarding the axis you can also use the "Options" menu to manually set the axis limits, that might also work better at the moment than the "automatic" axis settings for 1D problems.
Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
Just to clarify my thoughts per your response:

1.  When I start the app (v1.12.1), a splash screen appears while its loading with nothing to check, after the app is loaded, the splash screen changes to the one requiring that you accept or decline the license.  In previous versions, only the license accept splash screen appeared.

2.  I'm aware I can export the model to Matlab and control axis display from there, and have done that, but it would be nice to be able to do something in your app as well, in 1D as you say.  The options only constrain the data displayed, and don't change the axes, which is what I'm seeking.  Not a high priority, but would be nice.
Regarding the verbosity of the command log, it no longer slows down the calculation since you have fixed that, but additional control over what is output to the log would be nice.  Again, not high priority.
Thanks,
Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
tkdiff wrote
2.  I'm aware I can export the model to Matlab and control axis display from there, and have done that, but it would be nice to be able to do something in your app as well, in 1D as you say.  The options only constrain the data displayed, and don't change the axes, which is what I'm seeking.  Not a high priority, but would be nice.
Thank you for elaboraing on your suggestions, regading the axis although not as convenient as built-in buttons, if you really want to change the GUI axis there is another workaround by extracting and directly manipulation the corresponding Matlab graphics handles, for example (assuming you have the FEATool GUI up with a plot)

h_ax = findall(0,'type','axes');
    set( h_ax, 'XScale', 'log', 'YScale', 'log' )   % Set log-log scale.
    xmin = 0; xmax = 1; ymin = 0; ymax = 1;    
    axis( h_ax, [xmin xmax ymin ymax] )   % Set axis limits.
Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
That is interesting.  Where would I enter the commands you list to make this happen?
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
tkdiff wrote
Where would I enter the commands you list to make this happen?
The commands should be entered in to the Matlab "Command Window" if you are running FEATool as a Matlab toolbox.

Note that the stand alone version of FEATool does not support command line interface (CLI) use.