classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Setting Grid Size

randress
According to the pdf documentation for v 1.8, p22

"The desired overall mean Grid Size is specified in the corresponding edit field which can be
set manually or with the slider control."

and

"The Subdomain Grid Size and Boundary Grid Size edit fields can be used to prescribe maximum grid sizes for subdomains."

What is/are the units for Grid Size, Subdomain Grid Size, and Boundary Grid Size? (linear (m), area (m^2), or volume (m^3)?

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Setting Grid Size

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
What is/are the units for Grid Size, Subdomain Grid Size, and Boundary Grid Size? (linear (m), area (m^2), or volume (m^3)?
FEATool is in essence unitless, so whatever unit you define your geometry to be in. But in the sense of specifying "grid size" for grid generation, this typically refers to the target for the mean cell width or "diameter" (as in a length scale).
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
randress wrote
FEATool is in essence unitless, so whatever unit you define your geometry to be in.
Sorry for the confusion I included in my question ... I should have simply asked if the Grid Size was a measure of distance (units), area (units^2), or volume (units^3).
Precise Simulation wrote
But in the sense of specifying "grid size" for grid generation, this typically refers to the target for the mean cell width or "diameter" (as in a length scale).
So, my poor question aside, I understand from your response that where Grid Size is specified (all three places: main Grid gui screen, Settings Subdomain window, Settings Boundary window), it is a linear measure of the target average grid cell extent ("diameter").  As opposed to a measure of the length of a side of a face for 3D or length of a side (2D) of a cell.

In any case it is NOT a measure of volume or area. Correct?

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
So, my poor question aside, I understand from your response that where Grid Size is specified (all three places: main Grid gui screen, Settings Subdomain window, Settings Boundary window), it is a linear measure of the target average grid cell extent ("diameter").  As opposed to a measure of the length of a side of a face for 3D or length of a side (2D) of a cell.

In any case it is NOT a measure of volume or area. Correct?
Yes, it is most often meant to mean length of grid cells, but it is of course up to the individual mesh generation algorihhm how it is defined and interpreted (in your case Gmsh).