Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Revolve Face..." of block face with pitch gets error

randress
To reproduce this: Create a default block and select a face. I selected face that includes (0,0,0), (0,0,1), and (0,1,0).  Use Geometry "Revolve Face" tool using all default values except with pitch 0 replaced by 1. (see image below)

When "OK" is selected, the error dialog shown (above, on right) appears. (Note: The above image is a composite of a full screen shot before pressing "OK" and an active window screen shot of the error dialog taken after pressing "OK".)

Here are the recorded gui script and model files:

block_face_revolve360_pitch1.fes

block_face_revolve360_pitch1.fea

BTW, tests of revolving circular faces (cylinder and cone) with pitch worked as expected.

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "Revolve Face..." of block face with pitch gets error

Precise Simulation
Administrator
The OpenCascade geometry kernel often fails with non-zero pitch and the axis of rotation is exactly aligned with one of the revolved edges. If you add a some "space" between the revolution axis and the inner most edge it most often works  (and I think is a more common case with for example springs, and screw threads), see for example steps 11-15 in the resistive heating tutorial example:

https://www.featool.com/doc/multiphysics_01_resistive_heating1#tut_mph01

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "Revolve Face..." of block face with pitch gets error

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
The OpenCascade geometry kernel often fails with non-zero pitch and the axis of rotation is exactly aligned with one of the revolved edges. If you add a some "space" between the revolution axis and the inner most edge it most often works ...
Thanks for the tip.  As you might have guessed, this "problem" was a test exercise - just trying out the new feature, not trying to make a physical "thing".  

Using your suggestion, so long as I make the pitch greater than 1 (so the construction does not intersect after 360 (or more) degrees, it works with only a small deviation in y (0, -.1, 0) from the cube edge (for the rotation axis point). However, for a pitch of 1 (and I assume less than 1) where the construction would actually "touch" or intersect after 360 degrees, it seems to have problems, which may well be expected.

However, it is interesting that when revolving the circular end of a cylinder, it works even though it intersects itself after 360 degrees. The following:

...succeeds:

Kind regards,
Randal