Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Persistent or Default "Constants and Expressions"

randress
In the "Equation" mode there is a "Constants" button that opens a "Model Constants and Expressions" definitions box.  I have found this very usefull. For example, instead of  having to  write "s_dc*sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2+Vz^2)" where I want to specify the current density, I can simply define "J" to be that expresson and use "J" instead. Likewise I can use "E" for "sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2+Vz^2)".  This is particularly useful in postprocessing where dquantities derived from the solved-for variables may be of interest.

My question is how can I make those constant definitions persistent so that when I start a new model I may begin using J or E without having to redefine them?

I suppose I could create a default model file (.fea) that contains these constants (and as well as problem type and perhaps other often used settings).  I could then begin a new model by opening that file and then "Save As Model File..." its intended name.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Persistent or Default "Constants and Expressions"

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
My question is how can I make "Constants and Expressions" definitions persistent so that when I start a new model I may begin using J or E without having to redefine them?

I suppose I could create a default model file (.fea) that contains these constants (and as well as problem type and perhaps other often used settings).  I could then begin a new model by opening that file and then "Save As Model File..." its intended name.
It is currently not possible to change the defaults for new/empty models (in this case "no expressions"). Technically, to do this the "proper way" would probably be to edit the (pre-defined variable list in the) physics mode definitions which currently are not exposed (and thus not editable). I would suggest the approach with a minimal pre-defined model file for now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Persistent or Default "Constants and Expressions"

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
It is currently not possible to change the defaults for new/empty models ... I would suggest the approach with a minimal pre-defined model file for now.
No problem.

Funny though ... the idea for that approach (pre-defined startup model file) came to me as I was making this report ... a kind of "programmer's dummy" experience!

Regards,
Randal