classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Jan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Openfoam: could not start app decomposePar

Jan

When I run OpenFOAM in FEATool, I received OpenFOAM error "Openfoam: could not start app decomposePar". I do not know it is an error in FEATool or OpenFOAM. Could you help me on this issue?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Openfoam: could not start app decomposePar

Precise Simulation
Administrator
"decomposePar" is reference to the parallel mesh decomposer. Could you try running in serial mode, setting "Number of prrocessors" to "1" in the OpenFOAM Settings dialog box.
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan
Thank you very much for your quick reply and the correct solution.

I have got another OpenFOAM error: "could not start app simpleFoam" if I choose "steady state" after Time discretization scheme. I have got OpenFOAM error: "could not start app pimpleFoam" if I choose "Backward" after Time discretization scheme. ...
Does the information mean I did not install OpenFOAM inappropriately?

Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
> Does the information mean I did not install OpenFOAM inappropriately?

Yes, it seems the software can not find the OpenFOAM executables. Could you attach the "System Information" output by selecting "System Info..." from the "Help" menu.
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan

Please see the system information above. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thank you for the information, it could be that ESI OpenFOAM v2306 has changed some configurations from previous versions. Could you try to uninstall v2306 then reinstall v2206 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/openfoam/files/v2206/OpenFOAM-v2206-windows-mingw.exe) and try again to see if it works?
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan
Thank you for your quick reply. Wish you have had a good weekend.
I have installed OpenFOAM-v2206 and have changed the path in Environment Variable as follows.
Variable: FOAM_APP
Value: C:\Program Files\ESI-OpenCFD\OpenFOAM\v2206
When I solve using OpenFOAM, the following information is shown.

I have also tried a different numerical method, the same information is shown.
Thank you for your help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thank you for trying v22.06, not quite sure what the issue could be. Have you installed Microsoft MPI?

https://www.featool.com/doc/openfoam#install_of_mpi
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan
I use 2018a version of MATLAB. Could this be a problem?
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It is unlikely that Matlab is the issue. Please follow the steps below to verify that your OpenFOAM installation is working correctly:

1) Uninstall all OpenFOAM versions and Microsoft MPI if present and reboot

2) Download and install ESI-OpenFOAM (https://sourceforge.net/projects/openfoam/files/v2206/OpenFOAM-v2206-windows-mingw.exe)

3) Download and install Microsoft MPI (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/message-passing-interface/microsoft-mpi)

4) Download and extract the linked test case channel_flow.zip to a folder, for eaxmple "C:\temp\channel_flow".

5) Open a Windows CMD shell (Win+R > cmd > Enter) and run the following code (substitute v2206 for your ESI-OpenFOAM version), possibly try temporarily disabling any Anti Virus programs during the testing:
> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ESI-OpenCFD\OpenFOAM\v2206\setEnvVariables-v2206.bat

> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ESI-OpenCFD\OpenFOAM\v2206\msys64\home\ofuser\OpenFOAM\OpenFOAM-v2206\platforms\win64MingwDPInt32Opt\bin\simpleFoam.exe -help

> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ESI-OpenCFD\OpenFOAM\v2206\msys64\home\ofuser\OpenFOAM\OpenFOAM-v2206\platforms\win64MingwDPInt32Opt\bin\simpleFoam.exe -case C:\temp\channel_flow

6) The solver should run without error. If it doesn't please go back and follow the ESI OpenFOAM quickstart guide (https://doc.openfoam.com/2306/quickstart)
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan
Thank you very much for your help.
I am currently using university working laptop. There are many constraints in the system. I guess the problem is very likely coming the constraints.
I am starting to use my personal laptop to install FEATool and OpenFOAM. I will post my problems when I need your help.

Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Jan
In reply to this post by Precise Simulation
Thank you very much for your kind help.
I successfully get OpenFOAM work on my personal laptop.
This university sets too strict constraints on working laptops. Your software works very well. Sorry for so many questions and big thanks to you for your help.

Regards
Jan
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Hi Jan,

Glad to hear you got it working. Yes, maybe it was some permission issue due to using a work laptop.