classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mac and License Questions

bwalker000
This post was updated on .
1. Can you compare / contrast FEAtool and CFDtool, beyond the obvious that one supports only CFD and one supports CFD plus other models.

2. The trial works when I do basic simulations on my M1 mac, so it seems that it is not quite true that M1 ARM is not supported. Is it that it runs rosetta and is therefore slower?

3. I note that the software states that it does not support Docker, which seems to be a problem for those of us using OSX who would like to use openFOAM. Is there a workaround or plans to support Docker?

Thanks, this is a really impressive tool!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac and License Questions

Precise Simulation
Administrator
bwalker000 wrote
1. Can you compare / contrast FEAtool and CFDtool, beyond the obvious that one supports only CFD and one supports CFD plus other models.
CFDTool is basically an easier and simplified interface for a subset of FEATool's CFD and Heat Transfer functionality. Everything you can do in CFDTool you can do in FEATool as well (inculding importing CFDTool models into FEATool), whereas the opposite is not the case.

bwalker000 wrote
2. The trial works when I do basic simulations on my M1 mac, so it seems that it is not quite true that M1 ARM is not supported. Is it that it runs rosetta and is therefore slower?
M1 has not been tested and is currently not natively supported by MATLAB, so it is even surprising to hear it works at all even at slower speeds.

bwalker000 wrote
3. I note that the software states that it does not support Docker, which seems to be a problem for those of us using OSX who would like to use openFOAM. Is there a workaround or plans to support Docker?

Unfortunately, Apple Mac and OSX require significant resources to fully support, in that separate builds, testing, and validation work for all combinations of OS versions, MATLAB versions, and CPU architecture (x86 / ARM) would be required, for which there currently are no resources. So the best workaround if you find OSX functionality lacking or not working is to simply set up and use a full Linux (or Windows) VM (if you have Docker working a full VM should work as well).