Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Irreversable transition from ellipsoid to sphere

randress
It's twice now that I have "painted myself into a corner" with the ellipsoid object.  

While experimenting with the x, y, and z radii values, I tried x=y=z.  Then I selected the resulting object "En" and brought up the "Edit Geometry Object" dialog to try another xyz combination ... only to discover that it was the Sphere dialog :-(no 'y' & 'z' :-)

My preference would be that the ellipsoid remained an ellipsoid even if it were a sphere. But I realize that this might not be and easy change.

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Irreversable transition from ellipsoid to sphere

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thanks for explaining the confusion. The ellipses/ellipsoids and cones are for efficiency reasons converted to circles/spheres and cylinders if the inputs allow. This is done in the lowest geometry object level so I'm hesistant to change this for 1.x versions as backwards compatibility might suffer (for the 2.0 version I will allow breaking changes, meaning old 1.x models might not load properly or at all without manual intervention). That said, I believe if you first enter an ellipsoid then it will not change to a sphere even if all the radii are set the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
... This is done in the lowest geometry object level so I'm hesistant to change this for 1.x versions as backwards compatibility might suffer (for the 2.0 version I will allow breaking changes, meaning old 1.x models might not load properly or at all without manual intervention).
Yeah.  Nothing is lost and the ellipsoid can easily be recreated.

Precise Simulation wrote
That said, I believe if you first enter an ellipsoid then it will not change to a sphere even if all the radii are set the same.
Well, maybe I do not understand what you are suggesting here, but when I create an "Ellipsoid" with equal radii,

it displays as a "Sphere" and the Inspect/edit tool brings up a Sphere dialog:

But that would seem to be consistent with the paradigm you describe - conversion to a sphere on input of a spherical "ellipsoid" parameters.

Did I misunderstand what you suggested?

Kind regards,
Randal

Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
In reply to this post by Precise Simulation
Yes, I meant if you initially at object creation specify an ellipsoid (with inequal radii), then even if you later set all radii equal it should still be an ellipsoidal object (so you can change them unequal again), while if you initially set all radii equal it is assumed you actually want to define a sphere.
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Please be patient with me ... it seems that we must be "talking past each other" (as the phrase goes)

Precise Simulation wrote
Yes, I meant if you initially at object creation specify an ellipsoid (with inequal radii),
Like this:

Precise Simulation wrote
...then even if you later set all radii equal
... like this:

Precise Simulation wrote
it should still be an ellipsoidal object
Yes it is still plotted with tag "E1":

Precise Simulation wrote
 (so you can change them unequal again),
But the edit dialog shows the type as "Sphere" and only shows a single radius to modify.

???
-Randal

Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Sorry, I misremembered from the 2d version where it works like this. I will probably be changed for version 2.0.