Importing gmsh mesh file with several subdomains

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
kth
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3D Magnetostatics in the presence of a current source.

kth
Another issue is that if we create a STEP file with two domains (one inside the other) without merge them, and export it as STEP file, then FEATool it is automatically merging the domains, ie subtracts the inner.

(This is also why my re-importing the STEP in step (5) didnt work)

So, the STEP files have to created from outside CAD. Still this error comes with v1.12. For me i cannot avoid workaround but maybe is something else i cannot find yet...
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
In reply to this post by ADSW1243
ADSW1243 wrote
Does the new update alter the process I need to follow here? I'm unsure if the new update still requires the workaround or if I need to follow a different method now?
No, the point of the update was to not require a workaround. And you should both to be able to either use your original STEP/CAD files and generate the mesh in FEATool, or import your custom Gmsh grid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
In reply to this post by kth
kth wrote
First case (un-joined_overlapping_external) two geometries that overlap each other, and without merging them (copy/subtract). They are perfectly decomposed into subdomains during meshing, also Equation gives option to define objects individually, also Boundary can be set without any interior boundaries.

This is exactly what i try to do with a second case (un-joined_overlapping_internal), where the one geometry is completely overlapping the other, as discussed above with the New_Toy_Coil.step. I dont understand how, but i mess it up and the same error keep coming: Only the outer domain is meshed, (in the Equation are available to define but Boundary of the inner geometry have become interior which is not allowing eventually to have a heat flux from the inner domain. (such as a circuit that produced heat losses based on a load profile/ heat-source and the outer domain represents the convection air (free and forced convection) - It is similar to the heat exchanger tutorial example (https://www.featool.com/doc/multiphysics_00_heat_exchanger1) but for 3D.

How can we have the same behavior of case 1, for a complete interior geometry as in case 2?
Firstly, please create a new thread/question if your problem is not directly related to an existing thread (this was regarding Gmsh import, while you have difficulties with CAD geometry import).

Secondly, there was a slight fix to v1.12 to address one issue with Gmsh grid generation that affected on of your cases, please upgrade again to v1.12 Build 20.04.113.

Thirdly, I think you have things mixed up. The interior geometry case was working as expected, while the exerior one was not. You can not have disconnected interior boundaries (boundaries which share two subdomains should always be connected, but you can still prescribe internal boundary conditions on them using the corresponding check box in the Boundary Settings dialog box).