Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Import FEA struct from MATLAB

randress
Perhaps there is good reason not to.... but could there be a "File" menu option to import the same struct that is exported via the menu "Export FEA struct to MATLAB" option.

This would seem to accomplish the same thing as the two step process:
>>  save path_to_my_model.fea fea -v7
...followed by FEATool Gui "File" menu "Load Model/GUI Script" path_to_my_model.fea

Perhaps a GUI option would make it too easy to mistakenly "pollute" FEATool with an illegal problem structure.  And since there is already a two step method (above) to do this, which by is very nature carries with it a certain amount of caution, it may not be worth additional risk.

Kind regards,
Randal

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Import FEA struct from MATLAB

Precise Simulation
Administrator
I have of course considered this, but I think it is currently safer not to allow this as it is unclear what could happen if invalid data is found in many stages. I initially had a command terminal where one could execute Matlab code, scripts, and modified the fea data, but I disabled it just in case (as well as the Mathworks not allowing such things for compiled Apps at least).

I think the two step method will not be attempted by users who don't know it, or kind of know what they are doing. You can potentially always write your own script to hijack the buttons and automate things.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Import FEA struct from MATLAB

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
I think the two step method will not be attempted by users who don't know it, or kind of know what they are doing. You can potentially always write your own script to hijack the buttons and automate things.
Understood.  As as co-worker of mine used to say "if you are dumb enough to do it, you'd better be smart enough to know how" :-)

Kind regards,
Randal