Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Geometry --> Split Object partial failure

randress
To generate the model to be split:

1. run create_model.m
2. save geometry in matlab workspace variable, g = fea.geom
3. from FEATool create new model and import geometry, "g", from matlab workspace.

Imported model:

Now select all objects:

Next under the "Geometry" menu, select "Split Object" and observe that only 3 of the 5 objects were split:

B1 and F1 (highlighted) remain unsplit.

I really hope that this is a bug, because I like what I think it means: the "Split Object" operation will split
any and all selected objects, including a containing object, B1 in this case.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I tried this because I was not expecting it to work - I only expected the "Split Object" to split one and only one selected object.  That would mean that my orthogonal whole model split script would have one function not provided by the new "Split Object" - it could split the entire model on a plane creating integrable boundaries over the entire cut plane, whose integrals should sum to the total current flowing between electrodes....assuming the plane is placed between them (the Pos and Neg electrodes).  So I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased that it got 3 out of 5 :-)

Fingers crossed,
-Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geometry --> Split Object partial failure

Precise Simulation
Administrator
The split functionality should work with multiple geometry objects, but I "forgot" to increase the loop end limit when new geometry objects were added. Pushed a small fix, should test more, thanks again.

On a practical note, if you don't want to do the whole un-install/re-install dance app dance, it should be sufficient to just download and update the "featool.p" file, which should be located in the root directory of your FEATool installation folder (which you can see from the System Information output in the help menu).

https://github.com/precise-simulation/featool-multiphysics/blob/master/featool.p
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Geometry --> Split Object partial failure

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
The split functionality should work with multiple geometry objects, but I "forgot" to increase the loop end limit when new geometry objects were added. Pushed a small fix,...
glad it was an easy one...which did the trick. Thanks!

Precise Simulation wrote
... should test more, thanks again.
I'm happy to be the guinea pig...I'll test,  so you can do more coding :-)

Precise Simulation wrote
On a practical note, if you don't want to do the whole un-install/re-install dance app dance, it should be sufficient to just download and update the "featool.p" file, which should be located in the root directory of your FEATool installation folder (which you can see from the System Information output in the help menu).
Thanks for the tip/sortcut. Worked fine (after I shut down MATLAB :0). I'll take updates that way any time.

Kind regards,
Randal