classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GMSH export & import in FEATool

CFD2D
Hallo everybody,

I just tried to import a GMSH mesh into FeaTool, because today we wanted to try FEA and of course an error came up: Invalid GMSH Mesh (Nodes)... what this meaning? i am sure i have export it right.. is there a possibility to import salome mesh into FEA? I get along really well with Salome after a few weeks, but GMSH still gives me a bit of a headache.. just to see if it works, I exported my mesh from Salome, imported it into GMSH and exported it again.. than i tried it to import in FEA and it not going.. and yes i did it in ASCII 2.

Have someone an idea?

CFD2D
Marten Mehring
Madrigal Industrial Solutions UG
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GMSH export & import in FEATool

Precise Simulation
Administrator
CFD2D wrote
I just tried to import a GMSH mesh into FeaTool, because today we wanted to try FEA and of course an error came up: Invalid GMSH Mesh (Nodes)... what this meaning?
Hard to say exactly without being able to reproduce the issue. Would it be possible for you to attach (a link to) the mesh?
Reply | Threaded
|

CFD2D
This post was updated on .
Precise Simulation wrote
CFD2D wrote
I just tried to import a GMSH mesh into FeaTool, because today we wanted to try FEA and of course an error came up: Invalid GMSH Mesh (Nodes)... what this meaning?
Hard to say exactly without being able to reproduce the issue. Would it be possible for you to attach (a link to) the mesh?
We solved the problem but now after importing I canโ€™t visualise my mesh.. featool shows me only a block around my mesh.. after I go on boundary I can see my pipe.. and after I push in interior boundary.. I will see all 12 surfaces.. but my inlet and outlet not surfaces, featool make the edges red and not surfaces.. but I grouped it right in gmsh.. I will upload the mesh and send the link in another post another thing is that I have two subdomains.. but featool importing only the outer pipe and not the inner pipe.. but in gmsh I have two volumes before I exporting the msh.file. we made an conformal 3D multi body mesh with boundary layer using freecad and gmsh.. I grouped (physical) all surfaces in gmsh right but after exporting and import in fea its not like in gmsh..

Brep File export from FreeCAD: area_circle.brep

Geo file from gmsh: area_circle.geo

Tools -> Options -> Mesh and used the HXT solver and following settings:
Subdivision allgorithm: all hexas
smoothing steps: 10-20
Element size factor: 0.3
min: 0.2
max: 2.2
elementorder: 2

Do you know how I can put my meshing settings into the geo file, so that I needn't everytime change it in gmsh.. I will like only to work with the geo file haha.

My Goal with featool now: to import the msh file from gmsh and see my 2 subdivison (volumina) and my 6 surfaces (you see in the geo file i grouped the mantle surfaces to one, but after importing in fea, the program showed me 12 boundarys (surfaces) again. It would be no problem if featool would show it like gmsh before.

And you see its possible to make conformal multibody meshes with only using freecad and gmsh. It depends on how you draw your multibody before. But it is also possible with finished 3D geometries, but then you have to use Salome for partitioning beforehand. But I have the problem that I don't yet know how to make boundary layers in gmsh for a 3D geometry. That's why I chose the way of extruding the 2D surface in gmsh. So it is possible to mesh 2D with Boundary layer beforehand and then to extrude.

Best regards
CFD2D

PS: Why you have no SSL certificate for this forum? Do you want one? I can solve this problem for you ;-).

Marten Mehring
Reply | Threaded
|

CFD2D
In reply to this post by Precise Simulation
Precise Simulation wrote
CFD2D wrote
I canโ€™t understand why featool not visualise the mesh after import? I looked now all in the program and found nothing for it.. and I donโ€™t understand why gmsh shows me 7 groups (all my 6 surfaces and my whole volume but also shows that this volume are 2 subdivision (Volumen)) but featool shows nothing right.. I will get crazy and tend to use openfoam already๐Ÿ˜….. I wil give fea a chance but this annoying me ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Best regards
CFD2D

PS: 24/7 CFD ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Marten Mehring
Reply | Threaded
|

CFD2D
In reply to this post by Precise Simulation
Precise Simulation wrote
CFD2D wrote
Hello again,

now i solved the problem. The problem was that I grouped the physical surfaces wrong. After I did all right I imported it in OpenFOAM using gmshToFoam and splitMeshRegions. Than I saw in OpenFOAM all mapped and patched right and automatically (I was totally excited).

Then my next thought was: ok you got it done in OpenFOAM now, so you can import it into FEATool as well. Import etc was ok, but then the following problem occurred: https://i.imgur.com/FuCFpwI.png

It's written "openfoam: only single subdomain is supported"

Than I try tu use Fenics because SU2 was the same error and FEATool said: "fenics: does not support quadrilateral and hexahedral grids"

So let me say something: openfoam supports multiply subdomains but not the openfoam what is included in FEATool. So it's meaning FEATool doesn't support multiply subdomains!
And only use Fenics with tetrahedral meshes is not for us because we need boundary layer (quadrangle).

So unfortunately we have no use for FEATool, because multibody simulation is mandatory for us. From my previous questions, it was obvious that I would do simulations in that direction. You could have told me that FEAToll is not only suitable for multibody simulations with boundary layers (unless you only use Fenics with tetrahedral).

Are multibody simulations planned using OpenFOAM in FEATool?

Best Regards
CFD2D
Marten Mehring
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
CFD2D wrote
So let me say something: openfoam supports multiply subdomains but not the openfoam what is included in FEATool. So it's meaning FEATool doesn't support multiply subdomains!
And only use Fenics with tetrahedral meshes is not for us because we need boundary layer (quadrangle).

So unfortunately we have no use for FEATool, because multibody simulation is mandatory for us. From my previous questions, it was obvious that I would do simulations in that direction. You could have told me that FEAToll is not only suitable for multibody simulations with boundary layers (unless you only use Fenics with tetrahedral).
Sorry for the inconvenience, despite how it may seem it is actually really a lot of work to add support features of OpenFOAM (and other solvers). Support is planned but depending on resources. If you really require a feature, please consider at least paying for consulting and/or support.