Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FeaTool app on Matlab R2020a

tkdiff
Has the featool app been tested on the new Matlab R2020a release?  I tried it today and it loads and proceeds normally with a sample file or one of mine created previously, but when it hits the solver, it slows so severely that one time step takes 30 seconds.  When I installed R2020a, it picked up the Featool installation and installed the app automatically, but won't run properly.  R2019b still works properly.
Any thoughts?
Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FeaTool app on Matlab R2020a

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thank you for reporting your issue, I will try to have it looked at. At the risk of sounding like a broken record if you insist ignoring and even going against my advice you are basically on your own.

I am not recommending running R2011b or older Matlab versions as a joke or without reason just to mess with you. I recommend R2011b because I both have empirical evidence that it indeed operates significantly faster than later versions with respect to GUI performance and responsiveness, and fully stand by this claim and advice as I follow and experience it myself daily in my work developing FEATool. And with respect to FEATool there are few if any drawbacks from running on an older version of Matlab as I try to make sure and test that all functionality works the same.

In your case you have the untypical problem that the 1D simulations you run on your powerful workstation are so fast (solves virtually instantly) that terminal output is the only bottleneck, which is (significantly) excacerbated by running Matlab 2012a or later where the GUI toolkit is objectively slower and will consequently hold up your simulations even more.

Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
PM sent
Reply | Threaded
|

tkdiff
Update:  I have figured out what was wrong with running fenics under r2019b myself - I now have no slow down or other issues between running different files.

Other points:
1.  Under r2020a, the one error message that pops up is something about missing mex files.  Not sure what that means, I am not a matlab expert.  It does run fast and without error in r2019b.

2.  I downloaded r2011b, but it's not clear how to install featool.  Matlab states that apps using *.mlappinstall to install was introduced in r2012b, and will not work in prior versions.  

3.  Interestingly, when I look at the featool listing under get apps in matlab, it states that it was created with r2019a, and is compatible with r2009b to any release.

4.  My concern remains with sticking with older matlab versions.  Windows updates, as they have a habit of doing, may make an older version of matlab unusable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Glad to hear you've somehow managed to sort out your slowdown issues.

tkdiff wrote
I downloaded r2011b, but it's not clear how to install featool.  Matlab states that apps using *.mlappinstall to install was introduced in r2012b, and will not work in prior versions.  
Please try to follow the corresponding section in the FEATool Multiphysics documentation and installation guide, Readmes, and/or previous posts/answers on this very subject.

tkdiff wrote
Windows updates, as they have a habit of doing, may make an older version of matlab unusable.
I do not have this experience at all, especially with Microsoft being as dedicated to backwards compability as they have been.