Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FEAtool 1.12 Grid Generation Settings dialog

randress
Below is the Grid Generation Settings dialog from FEAtool 1.12 (Windows).

FEAtool 1.12 Grid Generation Settings dialog

The one shown in the documentation (Grid-->Grid Mode) shows a checkbox and parameters for "Boundary Layers".  Does this only present itself conditionally?  What am I missing OR has this been changed?

Kind regards,

Randal

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FEAtool 1.12 Grid Generation Settings dialog

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
Below is the Grid Generation Settings dialog from FEAtool 1.12 (Windows).

The one shown in the documentation (Grid-->Grid Mode) shows a checkbox and parameters for "Boundary Layers".  Does this only present itself conditionally?  What am I missing OR has this been changed?
This could probably have been made clearer, but the boundary layer option is currently only available in 2D. Unfortunately, this is due to the limitations of the available mesh generators (only Gridgen2D and Gmsh supports boundary layers and only in 2D). When there are 3D options available they will be added too. If you need boundary layers in 3D you will might have to go with a commercial mesh generator.
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
This could probably have been made clearer, but the boundary layer option is currently only available in 2D. Unfortunately, this is due to the limitations of the available mesh generators (only Gridgen2D and Gmsh supports boundary layers and only in 2D). When there are 3D options available they will be added too. If you need boundary layers in 3D you will might have to go with a commercial mesh generator.
This is probably better handled in another thread, but ... I anticipate that my use-case will require a finer mesh near the boundary between certain sub-domains, as well as finer mesh within those domains. Is this what is provided by the boundary layer option? If so can you suggest a commercial product or two that has this capability?
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
This is probably better handled in another thread, but ... I anticipate that my use-case will require a finer mesh near the boundary between certain sub-domains, as well as finer mesh within those domains. Is this what is provided by the boundary layer option?
Boundary layers genrally refers to create very structured and fine layers for aerodynamic flow (CFD) applications (to resolve thin viscous layers around the bodies). Like for example in this image:

FEATool Multiphysics boundary layer example

You can however still create a finer (although not as structured) mesh along selected boundaries by specifying a "Bounday Grid Size" in the corresponding edit field in the "Grid Generation Settings" dialog box (accepts a space separated list of target mesh size values for each boundary).

randress wrote
If so can you suggest a commercial product or two that has this capability?
Unfortunately, commercial options are typically extremely expensive, as most simulation software seems to be. However, although it seems to have ceased development enGrid (https://github.com/enGits/engrid) is/was based on the open source Netgen mesh generator and should support boundary layers (but you might need to convert the mesh cells to tetrahedra for compatibility).

Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
Boundary layers genrally refers to create very structured and fine layers for aerodynamic flow (CFD) applications (to resolve thin viscous layers around the bodies). Like for example in this image:

FEATool Multiphysics boundary layer example
Wow, really nice, but I do not anticipate the need for anything quite that thorough.

Precise Simulation wrote
You can however still create a finer (although not as structured) mesh along selected boundaries by specifying a "Bounday Grid Size" in the corresponding edit field in the "Grid Generation Settings" dialog box (accepts a space separated list of target mesh size values for each boundary).
This available capability may be all I need. At some point I will need to learn how to identify the boundaries.  Is there documentation, example, or tutorial that addresses this (in 3D)?
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
randress wrote
This available capability may be all I need. At some point I will need to learn how to identify the boundaries.  Is there documentation, example, or tutorial that addresses this (in 3D)?
If you first create a coarse grid and switch to boundary mode you can see the resuting boundary numbering which should for the most part be the same ordering as in the grid settings dialog box.