Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

C2+C1 succeeds but C1+C2 fails in geomtool

randress
The following file contains geometry composed of a sphere, a torus, and two cylinders inside a block.

combineC1andC2.fea

The two cylinders overlap.

When combining them by addition using "C1 + C2":

geomtool fails with:

Complete text:
geomtoolCrash.txt

However reversing the operands, "C2 + C1" yields the expected result.

I assume this is a bug, unless there is something amiss with my construction (or my thinking :-)

Kind regards,
Randal

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: C2+C1 succeeds but C1+C2 fails in geomtool

randress
No surprise to you I'm sure,  but build 20.08.221 solves this issue for me. Thanks for the quick turnaround!

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Thank you for the detailed issue report. Geometry objects which have this issue will unfortunately have to be re-generated with the fixed engine This issue will primarily effect geometry objects featuring axis alignment, such as cylinders, in configurations that might be difficult to tesselate due to floating point tolerances (touching edges/faces with sharp angles). It should hopefully work more robustly now though, but please do let me now if there are further issues.
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Precise Simulation wrote
Thank you for the detailed issue report.
No problem. I'll keep reporting 'em if you'll keep fixing 'em :-)

Precise Simulation wrote
 Geometry objects which have this issue will unfortunately have to be re-generated with the fixed engine
This is very important to know, please continue to let me know this when it applies to an update.

Precise Simulation wrote
 It should hopefully work more robustly now though, but please do let me now if there are further issues.
I will.

Kind regards,
Randal
Reply | Threaded
|

Precise Simulation
Administrator
Just to clarify, you don't need to remake your geometry if it can be successfully used to generate a mesh. After you have a mesh to compute on, a geometry is not really needed anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

randress
Understood.  Thanks for the clarification. As it turns out, this particular geometry was a ‘toy’ used to test the geometry split scripting and so not a real FEA problem.
-Randal